Monday, March 26, 2012

Chocolate Oreo Nutella Cupcakes

Following on from the theme of finding a nice surprise hidden inside your cupcake I had the idea of integrating one of my favourite biscuits into a cupcake. I did a trawl of the Internet in search of inspiration and crossed a few of the recipes I found to create these filthy delights...
Oreo Nutella Cupcakes with a hidden secret...

First of all, I halved full sized Oreos, leaving the filling attached and reserved the other side of the biscuit for later (some of these halves were eaten along the way to check for consistency of the batch or something else equally as impressive and important sounding, it seemed very important at the time anyway as it had suddenly occurred to me as I was halving the Oreos that perhaps a hole had got in the pack somewhere and some of the Oreos had become stale without my knowledge?! I needn't have worried. All was well.
Oreo halves upturned in their cases waiting to be transformed into cakes!

 Those halves of biscuit that weren't consumed in this 'testing' process were whizzed up in my mini food processor into crumbs and stirred into the chocolate buttercream topping to give it an Oreo flavour!) I then put the Oreo halves with the filling still attached facing upwards into cupcake cases and poured over a nice gooey chocolate cupcake mixture so that the cases were two thirds full. Then they were baked...
The Oreo survives the baking process!

Once they had cooled and the whole kitchen smelt of warm chocolate cake (mmm... drool...) I used an apple corer to remove enough room in the middle of each cake to fill with a good teaspoon-full of nutella. I then proceeded to eat the removed cake bits (just to test the cakes would be alright- they were fine, I ate all of these cakey bits just to be sure). Then I topped with my Oreo buttercream and a mini Oreo!

The mixture of textures that you get all in one bite is lovely, the Oreo biscuit gives a firm base but not as firm as a normal Oreo half as it has been baked in cake mixture so its softer and a little like a chocolaty, soft cheesecake base. The Oreo filling has softened and amalgamated with the chocolate cake mixture which all oozes into the nutella and then Oreo buttercream. Nutella is quite creamy and nutty in comparison the the Oreo buttercream which has a darker kind of chocolate feel to it with the very sweet edge of buttercream. I chose to remove the little Oreo and dip into my tea before quaffing the rest! No need to decide between cake and biscuit. You can have both!
The Chocolate Oreo Nutella Cupcake revealing its gooey inside...

I took a couple of these to the mothers day picnic I went to with my family. Most of my relatives are currently on a diet (not my fault I promise) but I could rely on my cake tester of a nephew to indulge in one of these morsels and to give me an honest verdict. He is 5. He had consumed about half of his cake before my sister (his mum) said 'Can I have a bite Harry? Its mothers day!'. He thought about it for a moment and tipped his head to one side whilst continuing to devour the bite of cupcake currently still in his mouth. The statement was true, it was mothers day and yes he probably should let his mum have a bite, but there is always a risk with adults that a bite actually means 'the rest' so he remained silent on the matter and popped the other half of the cake into his mouth in one go and then proceeded to swallow it as one huge mouthful before there was any more time for the mothers day cake conundrum to be discussed further.

Very wise.

And then he giggled and smiled displaying chocolate buttercream and nutella covered teeth. Sometimes silence says more than words. A winning verdict from my little cake tester!

On the subject of mothers day, I acquired one of these mugs to give to my own mother as part of her Mothers Day present (the other half was in fact cake!)

Very deep words coming from me indeed. Perhaps one day Harry will buy one for his own mum. True love is sharing a very delicious chocolate cake, perhaps even one with a chocolate biscuit and some gooey nutella inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment