Friday, March 9, 2012

Cadburys mini Creme Egg filled cupcakes and other equally filthy Easter cakey delights!

The idea of Cadburys Creme Egg cupcakes was something I stumbled upon when looking for cake recipe inspiration on the internet. It sounded like utter cake filth. yum yum yum!

The problem was, I found pictures but I couldn't find a recipe. Was it possible? Then I stumbled upon the secret on a forum... freeze the mini eggs first before baking!

I used my favourite chocolate cupcake recipe, which is one of Mary Berry's. Partly picked as its a lovely moist cupcake (it has melted chocolate as well as cocoa in it much like brownies!) and partly as it required the least amount of cooking time of all the cupcake recipes I had. Around 15-18 minutes. The less time in the oven, the less likely the creme eggs would disintegrate into blobs of goo.
Chocolate Cupcake with Cadburys Mini Creme Egg baked into the centre! Magical!!

 I dolloped a tablespoon of cake mixture into each case and then hurriedly placed frozen mini creme eggs in the centre before covering with more cake mixture. I baked them in the oven for 13 minutes and then allowed them to cool. I even had the self restraint to wait until they had cooled completely then iced them, topping with a lindt milk chocolate mini egg before I sliced them in half to see if it had worked and it had! Hooray! Biting into one was wonderful. There was the lovely soft moist cake crumb and then a further delight, a yummy chocolate egg fondant centre! No need to decide if you want cake or a creme egg, have both!

I then tried Cadburys Caramel Mini Eggs and Hotel Chocolat Salted Caramel Egglets (these were by far the best and I will warn you, you almost have no control over how many of these moreish little chocolate salted caramel delights you will eat. I don't even think I remember having my last two, it was a blur of caramel chocolate gooeyness). The salted caramel in these egglets is quite runny and it stays in tact inside the cake. So you bite into the cake and then all of a sudden you hit a lovely dribbly salted caramel bubble which bursts in your mouth! Magical!
The best of the bunch! Hotel Chocolat Salted Caramel Egglet encased in a chocolate cupcake topped with caramel butter cream and a milk chocolate lindt mini egg. A burst of salted caramel gooeyness!

Chocolate cupcake with mini Cadburys Caramel Egg in the centre. Topped with caramel and chocolate butter cream and also with a Cadburys Caramel Nibblet and Caramel Hotel Chocolat buttons.
A word of warning though, I put choc chips into the cake mixture of one batch of these cakes and the Salted Caramel Egglets from Hotel Chocolat did not survive! They popped and left a hole in the cake. It was very sad to take these out of the oven, a little egg shaped hole in my cakey life where a Salted Caramel Egglet should have been. Not to worry, I made some salted caramel from tinned caramel and a sprinkling of freshly ground sea salt (I had learned from my banoffee pie cupcakes this time. No need to spend three hours boiling condensed milk to make caramel filling when it can be ready bought! I've warned you before but just in case you haven't read my previous post about the danger of this filling. Its very addictive! Please do not open on your own, have a supervising adult with you or you may simply drink the contents of the tin without a second thought to the little cakes waiting to be topped with caramely yummyness). I then filled the little pre-made Egglet holes in the cakes with this filling. Yum! As one friend who was lucky enough to sample one of these cakes (that I hadn't scoffed myself) said, 'its so caramely and chocolaty it makes you almost feel sick when you've finished but also like you could eat at least 4 more!' There's definitely something addictive in chocolate salted caramel!
Chocolate cupcake with salted caramel filling, caramel and chocolate butter cream topped with a Cadburys Caramel nibblet and Hotel Chocolat caramel chocolate buttons. I dare you to eat one and not feel a bit sick but also like you want another at the same time!
A salted caramel cupcake ready to be transported to its new home! The beautiful cake box is from the Lakeland Shop

2 comments:

  1. I just love reading your cake blog Helen... so talented in baking and writing!!!

    ReplyDelete